Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Ashley Monroe will make her highly anticipated return with Sparrow, her brand new album due April 20. Working with celebrated producer Dave Cobb, the 12-song collection was recorded in Nashville’s legendary RCA Studio A. Monroe, featured as a co-writer on each track, continues to roll out her characteristically authentic music from Sparrow with a reflection on heartbreak as “Paying Attention” hits all major digital retailers and streaming services today.
Sparrow is now available for pre-order and includes instant downloads of “Paying Attention” and “Hands On You.”
Monroe recently released the single “Hands On You” to early critical acclaim. NPR Music shared the music video for the song and said, “On that song and the 11 others that round out the track list, many of which frame her voice with sumptuous strings, Monroe sounds more sensitive, sensual and comfortable in her skin than she ever has.”
The single was also embraced by American Songwriter, Rolling Stone, Wide Open Country, and UPROXX, who called the song a “barn-burning, lusty remembrance of a night that didn’t quite end in consummation of desire, and the waves of regret that can accompany not acting on impulse.”
“I knew I wanted to work with Dave,” Monroe says. “All of his records are consistently awesome and classic, timeless, old and new all in one.” Together, they shared their favorite records and music moments, like early Elton John LPs and Glenn Campbell’s “Wichita Lineman,” molding Sparrow into its own unique sonic space.
Added Monroe: “Country music is a wide genre, and that’s OK. I don’t even know what genre this record is, but I know it’s me.”
Ashley Monroe will celebrate the release of Sparrow with an album release show at Rough Trade NYC in Brooklyn on April 24. Tickets are on sale now.
Sparrow Track List:
- “Orphan” (Ashley Monroe, Gordie Sampson, Paul Moak)
- “Hard On A Heart” (Ashley Monroe, Blu Sanders, Paul Moak)
- “Hands On You” (Ashley Monroe, Jon Randall)
- “Mother’s Daughter” (Ashley Monroe, Brendan Benson, Ryan Beaver)
- “Rita” (Ashley Monroe, Nicole Galyon, Paul Moak)
- “Wild Love” (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne, Brendan Benson)
- “This Heaven” (Anderson East, Ashley Monroe, Aaron Raitiere)
- “I’m Trying To” (Ashley Monroe, Kassi Ashton, Jon Randall)
- “She Wakes Me Up (Rescue Me)” (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne, Paul Moak)
- “Paying Attention” (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne, Brendan Benson)
- “Daddy I Told You” (Ashley Monroe, Angaleena Presley, Josh O’Keefe)
- “Keys To The Kingdom” (Ashley Monroe, Waylon Payne)