Few musicians have embraced life on the road like singer-songwriter Steve Moakler. The Pittsburgh native Billboard describes as “a soulful mix of Seger and Springsteen with a Music City flair” is inspired by both the excitement and triumphs of travel, which he brings to life on his new record Born Ready, available on CN Records today (June 15).
Moakler’s idea of life on the road looks different than most touring artists. For him, it isn’t putting miles on a tour bus or collecting hotel room keys from cities across America. It’s been a mix of touring off the beaten path in a vintage camper with his wife Gracie, and sleeping at truck stops in between shows at rock clubs and honky tonks with his band.
“I started writing Born Ready with truck drivers in mind, but quickly realized I was telling my own story too,” explains Moakler. “Whether your job has you behind the steering wheel or not, I think the road is a perfect metaphor for life. It’s about closing the distance between where you are and where you want to be.”
Born Ready was produced by Luke Laird of Creative Nation. While Moakler has found success as a writer himself, penning Dierks Bentley’s “Riser” among others, the 12-track album features his collaborations with some of Music Row’s prominent songwriters including Angelo (Rodney Atkins), Jessi Alexander (Lee Brice), Barry Dean (Jason Aldean), Connie Harrington (Blake Shelton), Steven Lee Olsen (Keith Urban), Deric Ruttan (Eric Church), Gordie Sampson (Carrie Underwood), Chris Stevens (Kenny Chesney) and Troy Verges (Tim McGraw).
Born Ready Track Listing:
1. “Born Ready” | Steve Moakler, Luke Laird, Barry Dean
2. “Crazy Does” | Steve Moakler, Gordie Sampson, Jon Randall
3. “Breaking New Ground” | Steve Moakler, Ryan Beaver, Neil Medley
4. “One of the Boys” | Steve Moakler, Jessi Alexander, Chris Stevens
5. “Devices” | Steve Moakler, Cary Barlowe, Steven Lee Olsen
6. “Hard Not To Love It” | Steve Moakler, Luke Laird, Barry Dean
7. “Slow Down” | Steve Moakler, Morgan Taylor Reid
8. “Thirty” | Steve Moakler, Troy Verges, Gordie Sampson
9. “Nightlife” | Steve Moakler, Angelo
10. “Chesney” | Steve Moakler, Connie Harrington
11. “One More Troubadour” | Steve Moakler
12. “The Last Word” | Steve Moakler, Deric Ruttan
Moakler recently wrapped up his Born Ready Tour powered by Mack Trucks – the driving force behind this chapter of Moakler’s promising career.
“Born Ready is about believing that you’re built to handle the road you’re on,” says Moakler of the concept. “I’m so excited for everyone to finally hear this new album and I hope that they feel as inspired while listening to it as we did while making it.”
Fans can listen to Born Ready here.